Monday, April 11, 2022

Words Are My Matter: Le Guin on Books and Writing

 

Le Guin is a rare artist.  Her fierce intelligent is guided by her unerring instincts, so that she works through her stories both intellectually and emotionally, by thought and by feel.  As I read my way through her novels, I took special pleasure in reading her own forwards (which I often read as afterwards, instead) because she had the additional gift of being able to evaluate her own work from a loving distance, crediting and admiring what deserved credit and admiration, and criticizing what she saw falling short.  Better still, her non-fictional essays were written with the same grace and energy as her works of fiction.

When I was contemplating writing a collection of critical essays, I knew I wanted to peel myself away from my own academic style of writing.  So I picked up this copy of Le Guin’s essays on writing. About half of the book is comprised of book reviews and introductions that she has written for the works of other authors, and the other half consists of essays and talks about the art and field.  I had originally intended to pick and choose the essays for inspiration and study, but instead I found myself reading the collection in its entirety.

I find the way Le Guin looks at and considers the world to be both comforting and inspiring, although I can’t put my finger on what it is.  There is a determined optimism combined with a certain crankiness.  A loving gentleness and a sharp critical eye.  A large sense of understanding and a demand that things get done right.  I don’t agree with everything she says, but nor do I dismiss anything she says, because I know each position is considered, both in its content and in its presentation.

I was so moved by one of her introductory essays, that I immediately got a copy of the book and read it before finishing Le Guin’s.  That book was Vonda McIntyre’s Dreamsnake, and I loved it.  By the time I finished this collection, I had created a reading list of some 20 books that I have every intention of working my way through: the Books Le Guin Admired.  I have a few things to read before beginning the list in earnest, but I’ve very excited about it.  When I find someone I admire and trust, I like to look at who they admire and trust in turn.  Because her essays are earnest and don’t hold back on criticism any more than they do praise, I fully trust her evaluations.

I am impressed that this book has sold well and is still in print, because I imagine that the audience for it is rather small: those of us who enjoy Le Guin’s writing and person enough to want to hear what she has to say about dozens of other authors.  But if that sounds like an enjoyable trip by the premise, you will find a lot here to enjoy, and just as much to inspire you onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment