Friday, January 16, 2015

The Meta-French Meta-Lieutenant's Meta-Woman



I usually open these posts with a warning that I will be spoiling a lot about the novel.  I want, as I head into this post about John Fowles’s The French Lieutenant’s Woman, to put emphasis on that warning.  I am not just going to be revealing a fact or two; I am going to be talking about the ending at some length, so if you haven’t read this book and have any desire at all to do so—and you really should want to read it, because it is absolutely wonderful--do no read this blog.  Bookmark it and come back after you have finished it.  My post will still be here gathering digital dust until you come back.

Not having read the book before, and having read nothing about it ahead of time, I had no idea what Fowles’s novel was about—except perhaps a woman who associated with a lieutenant from France.  It was great fun for me to watch the novel unfold as I scribbled notes on the four 4x6 cards that I keep with each book for that purpose.  On these cards, I keep track of characters, when they are first introduced and when information about them is revealed; I write down quotations that I feel are central to what the novel is doing or that I think are just cool; and I scribble down themes and revelations as they come to me.  My first note of substance here was “narrator conscious of the historical context of novel written from 1969 [as the novel is set in 1867].”  Little did I know how important the narrator was going to become.  I actually tried to keep track of when Fowles’s narrator broke the temporal fourth wall (fifth wall?), drawing attention to the historical nature of the novel.  Yeah, I abandoned that effort only a few chapters in, because of course the narrator never lets the reader forget that the novel is historical and artificial and a figment of the author’s imagination.  In fact, the thrust of the narrative is set aside entirely in Chapter 13.  The previous chapter ends with two questions: “Who is Sarah?” and “Out of what shadows does she come?”  Chapter 13, then, begins,

I do not know.  This story I am telling is all imagination.  These characters I create never existed outside my own mind.  If I have pretended until now to know my characters’ minds and innermost thoughts, it is because I am writing in (just as I have assumed some of the vocabulary and ‘voice’ of) a convention universally accepted at the time of my story: that the novelist stands next to God.  He many not know all, yet he tries to pretend that he does.  But I live in an age of Alain Robbe-Grillet and Roland Barthes; if this is a novel, it cannot be a novel in the modern sense of the word.

How fantastic is that?!  I wanted to put all of chapter 13 onto my 4x6 cards!

So what we have in the end is a love story that, for the most part, follows the conventions of a Victorian novel, much like one Hardy would tell.  But in addition to that story, set in the late 1860s, we have a meta-experience of the novel from the narrator/author who unravels this tale in the late 1960s.  In lesser hands this would amount to little more than a gimmick, a tricky way to have his Victorian story and his modern sensibility at the same time.  But far from being a gimmick, The French Lieutenant’s Woman is a moving and intellectual study of modern society both at its roots with the growth of the middle class and at the present time.  Fowles manages to imitate the voice and poise of a Victorian narrative throughout the novel, writing beautiful sentences and looking into the thoughts and behaviors of all his characters (at least when he wants to), laying them out sensibly, articulately, and artistically.  Then, sitting just on top of that narrative, like a clear overlay or like neatly written marginalia, Fowles adds humor and irony from his modern perspective and self-aware uses of convention.  The thing that makes it all work is Fowles’s refusal to romanticize either the past or the present.  He goes through great pains to illuminate the Victorian world in the 1860s, discussing such scientific, social, and political giants of the time as Darwin, Marx, Arnold, Tennyson, Rossetti, and many others.  Fowles displays nothing but respect for the times and his characters, even as he keeps a nearly clinical distance.

For me, the novel was an intellectual joy for the first three quarters, and I was thinking of the novel as a 4-star affair, leaving back that last star because I was not emotionally invested in what unfolded.  But the last 70 pages changed all that.  And here is really the part that you want to stop reading if you ever want to be able to experience the sense of discovery when you read this novel somewhere down the road.  Seriously.  Stop reading if you haven’t read the novel.  Go read the novel!  You will not regret it!

Okay.  From Charles’s breaking of his engagement with Ernestina to the end of the novel was a whirlwind for me that kept turning the screws, to paraphrase Henry James, pulling me more and more into the emotional center of the novel.  Actually, the last movement should date from Fowles’s first false ending, the ending that Charles imagines for himself.  And as everything fell apart for Charles and as Sarah was nowhere to be seen, I found myself caring more and more about his predicament and I wanted him and Sarah to have a happy ending.  I suspected that there was no way Fowles was going to allow the two to find happiness together, but damnit, I wanted it deep inside.  I knew this was partly because of my own expected conventions (just as I knew happiness was dubious because of different conventions) and partly because I liked both Sarah and Charles.  So much was riding on Sarah and Charles’s final encounter for me as a reader.  My entire evaluation of the book rested on what happened in that final exchange.  I suspect I was not alone.

The ending was  . . . brilliant.  Charles’s talk with Sarah is exquisitely painful.  Narrative desires dictates that Sarah realize that she loves Charles who has righteously pined for her.  But Fowles constructs the scene to mirror Charles’s dumping of Ernestina.  At that earlier scene we rooted for Charles to break it off no matter how painful it might be for Ernestina because he couldn’t chain himself to a life of unhappiness in the name of duty.  So here, as Sarah reveals that she is genuinely happy, that she in fact does not want to be married to anyone, my heart was pulled in two as I realized she was right.  And yet still I rooted for a union.  And I wanted Sarah to be free.  And I wanted a union.  The pull in both directions was equal and painful and so beautifully balanced that I had nothing but admiration as Fowles punched my heart again and again.  And then!  To give us two endings!  Neither one completely satisfactory, but together somehow more complete. 

I knew that Sarah would be something of a feminist hero when the first thing we encounter is her gaze, which “pierces” and “diminishes” Charles.  Any feminist scholar is familiar with the male gaze as a violent and dominating thing, so to have the strength of the gaze given to Sarah made me put a few exclamation points on my 4x6 cards.  Her determination to not marry at the end of the novel comes across as a truly transgressive act and not some half-assed attempt to be progressive.  Yes, she could have been even more aggressive in her drive for independence, but to make her such would change her very character and I think gain very little, because her final decision and her rejection of Charles would lose all its punch and meaning.  And I can see someone making the argument that Fowles’s own inability to pierce Sarah’s character and motives feels like an unnecessary continuation of the notion of woman as an unsolvable mystery, but again the protective shield around Sarah’s heart and mind seems complete when not even the narrator and creator can penetrate them.

The French Lieutenant’s Woman is a stunning and wonderful novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment