Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lords and Ladies of the Ring



I begin with a confession:  this is the first time I have ever read Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.

I know.  It’s crazy that a 40-year-old self-professed nerd has never read the granddaddy of all fantasy fiction.  I’m not proud.

While we’re being honest here, I have to admit that I was a little afraid to read it now.  I grew up hearing all the stories from the novel thanks to my older brother and my various geek friends.  I played D&D when the game was first published in the 70s, and my first wizard was named Gandalf.  I have read and loved The Hobbit.  I have seen the movies many times and loved them.  What if, given all this indirect exposure, I read the thing itself, the center of so much nerdy fun, and found that I didn’t like it?  What if I stumbled over literary faults or found the plot dragging and leaving me wishing for the films?  What if Tolkien’s voice, so easy and charming in The Hobbit, became overworked and pretentious with the epic nature of The Lord of the Rings?  It would be devastating.

My worries were of course entirely unnecessary.  I loved the novel.  It read with all the easy and joy of The Hobbit, and I never felt the story sag, in spite of its tremendous length.  Tolkien is a master of his craft, and his place in the literary canon (of both fantasy and literary fiction) is well founded.  It is, of course, a wonderful story, wonderfully told.  And those appendices! Oh my goodness!  I never understood why some people insisted on rereading then novel every year, but now I get it.  I embarked on the appendices solely because I promised myself I would read the whole book, but I was shocked to learn how engrossing the appendices were.  The scope of Tolkien’s universe is staggering.  The energy he put into creating the world lying under his tale—incredible!  With every page, I wanted to reread the novel and see how much more I understood.  One could spend 20 years studying, reading, making connections, and making sense, all to understand a mythical world.  What an accomplishment!

Early in the novel I found myself disappointed with the dialogue because so much of it is all surface.  The characters say exactly what they mean with no subtext.  And all the characters recognized each other’s greatness, so friendships could form in ridiculously short times.  But in the end, these disappointments were minor and had no lasting impression; the story and scope of the world are so grand that the lack of subtleties in character can be painlessly overlooked.

I don’t have much to say about the novel analytically, but I will leave off with some thoughts about the lack of women in the novel.  Frodo and Bilbo have no woman in the house, Sam’s mother has apparently passed on, both the kingdoms of Rohan and Gondor are without a queen, as is Rivendell, and of course the Ents have lost the Entwives entirely.  There is a serious dearth of mothers and wives at the end of the Third Age of middle earth.  Obviously, this is no accident on Tolkien’s part.  Moreover, Eowyn’s roll and speeches make it clear that Tolkien didn’t remove all the women because he felt that war was no place for such gentle creatures.  Nonetheless, women do act as a kind of symbol in the novel, a symbol of growth and stability and healthy times.  The three main female presences in the novel are Lady Galadriel, Arwen, and Eowyn.  The last two becomes wives and a promise of generational growth and prosperity in the Fourth Age, the Age of Men.  Eowyn is tamed by Faramir, giving up her desire to fight in order to be with him. Arwen sacrifices eternal life to rule with Aragorn.  Meanwhile, the other creatures will dwindle, like the wifeless Ents, the dwarves with their low population of women, the orcs, who seem to be entirely without females.  Lady Galadriel has been doing all the work of womankind for the last half of the Third Age, and she is ready to retire her position and sail from Grey Haven with a boat full of broken and used-up men.

When this reading adventure is complete, I expect I'll be coming back to Lord of the Rings and travel through Middle-Earth once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment