Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Brave New Handful of Dust

I'm getting a little ahead of Ann for the moment, but I'm sure she will catch up in no time. For now, we forge ahead into the unknown, into Evelyn Waugh's A Handful of Dust.

This was another intriguing book, one of those whose final act seems so incongruous with those that preceded it, like A Passage to India. We begin as a comedy of English city society and end in the jungles of Brazil. I felt like I tumbled into the surreal as Tony and Dr. Messinger struck out into the jungle, like Waugh had been reading Heart of Darkness and decided to give that a go for a while. Then I started to wonder, which came first in the creation of the story: the jungle or the city? So I looked it up on Wikipedia and there was a quote by Waugh saying that he had had an experience in which he was far from culture reading to an older gentleman when it occurred to him that the man could keep him hostage if he wanted to. So that is where this book began for him. He worked back from there, he said, to play out further "civilized man's helpless plight among [savages]." Tony is of course our civilized man and Brenda, Beaver, and the lot are the savages. You can probably take it all from there.

The thing that I actually thought of most when I finished this book was how similar it was to Brave New World by Huxley. In both stories we follow a man who shares our sensibilities about the world and how people and society ought to behave while struggling in a world that actively works against him. Brave New World even has that section in it where the protagonist goes to live amongst the savages, which struck me as being similar to the jungle section in Waugh's book. And of course, both protagonists are beaten down in the end. Curiously enough, Brave New World was published in 1932, just before Waugh would have been writing his book. Whether or not there was any influence, it is clear that there is something of a zeitgeist here that both authors are tapping into about the fears of where contemporary society was headed. The Great War was a ways behind them, but more turmoil was brewing and the modern political machinery was churning away.

This is a book that I have enjoyed thinking about after I finished it more than I enjoyed the actual reading of it, although I did find the characterization of John Jr. very funny and greatly enjoyed the fake affair scene with Tony and Milly and her daughter. This is my first exposure to Waugh and I would be delighted to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment